Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lia Lee

While I'm on my health and culture kick... book suggestion time!

I'm currently reading,

"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures" by Anne Fadiman.

It's wonderful.
A mix of beautifully constructed sentences, colorful stories, and interesting facts; it tells the true story of Lia Lee a young Hmong child living with epilepsy.
Only 78 pages in and already my thoughts of refugees, Hmong culture, American medicine, natural remedies, cultural sensitivity, parenting, and faith have been re-evaluated.

Something(s) to love today: intercultural communication & foreign language courses.

2 comments:

-Jessica said...

that book is amazing.

Jeanna Bauer said...

I just finished it last night. LOVED IT. I should change my recommendation from wonderful book to MUST READ.