Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Spoonful of Sugar

Tomorrow I'm going to the Doctor. I'm not overly excited about this, but I am thankful. I'm thankful for the option of buying (some) medications over the counter- that work. For knowledgeable, respectful, and rule-abiding medical staff. I'm thankful that at 22 years old, I have a basic, common sense understanding of my body. This thankfulness, is new. & completely due to experiences in Cairo.

Once again, thankfully I can say that I had no need for urgent medical care while in Egypt, but I did have my run in's with flaws in the system. Including but not limited to: an over the counter cough medicine that knocked out it's takers for 3+ days; paramedics that were not trained to set broken arms or stitch cuts; a friend whose doctor answered his cell phone during surgery.

I also found myself explaining to many of my friends how their body works. Things I've known since high school like: the effects of high cholesterol, the reason for menstrual cramps, the ways that our body is linked (one friend was convinced his ears hurt because of cell phone use, but had nothing to do with his rotting teeth), the importance of hydration, negatives in extreme dieting, and the benefits of taking the stairs! I was also the drug dealer ... ibuprofen, nasal decongestants, and anti-diarrhea pills. Egypt has no laws on drug testing so my meds from America were magical.

So what's the issue? Health wise- it's a mixture of vitamin deficiencies, malnutrition, contaminated water (outside of large cities), extreme pollution, and lack of basic health education. In terms of medical care - it's understaffed hospitals, a majority of people who are unable to pay for care, and a lack of modern equipment.

Interesting facts:
In Egypt, most vaccines and other shots can be bought over the counter, and people inject themselves.
Many Egyptians are learning more about their bodies and health from American TV shows such as Dr. Oz and The Doctors translated in Arabic.

One benefit of all this is the popularity of natural remedies. One simple, fabulous, Khalda concoction got me out of a few rough days: Hot Lemon Water. Simply - boil water, once hot- squeeze in the juice from one half a lemon, add a few spoonfuls of sugar, wa-la... instant fever reducer, stomach ache healer, and cold eraser.

Something(s) to love today: your mother, your doctor, and your body.

No comments: