Monday, January 25, 2010

AHHH in AHHH out.

Around Christmas time I said to myself, "Jeanna, take up yoga."
At the time motivation was high. I cut out positions from magazines, scavenged the house for a mat, and went to it.

Then I fell.
Surprise, surprise I lost my balance (and the ability to touch my toes). I'm not sure what toppled over what, but I landed in a blushing mess on my bedroom floor. Needless to say, motivation died. Instantly.

But lately, I've been a victim of the January blues. As I keep searching for natural pick me up remedies, I have yet to find information that doesn't mention yoga. So in attempts to avoid another embarrassing episode (and more importantly a broken bone or ripped muscle) I decided to choose watch over read. Welcome to my life (for two weeks) "The Original Yoga: Featuring Tracey Rich and Ganga White". This morning I watched/tried the first chapter and had a really good time with it... although I'm sure the gracefulness will take a little time.

According to the American Yoga Association the practice is up to 5,000 years old (most likely started in the Indus Valley)! What I found most impressive was the way in which yoga has survived for so long, "The tradition of Yoga has always been passed on individually from teacher to student through oral teaching and practical demonstration. The formal techniques that are now known as Yoga are, therefore, based on the collective experiences of many individuals over many thousands of years." Neat-o.

Now, I just have to hope that my first half an hour of yoga has given me enough spiritual well-being and motivation to continue on.

Something to DO today: STOP & take a few deep breaths.

No comments: