Monday, September 14, 2009

Africa, Again.

Hello All,

Whether you've: heard it via the family grapevine, been asked for travel advice, opened my the eyes to the world of refugee advocacy, provided moral support (I needed a lot to buy my ticket), given me travel advice, or have no idea what I'm even talking about- you've all helped me in this next (2 month) life step.

I'm heading to Cairo, Egypt tomorrow!!

I will be living in Cairo for two months with a Sudanese Darfur refugee to help her learn English. This opportunity came about after my internship with Lutheran Services in Iowa Refugee Cooperative. My new roommate and host, Khalda Anwar Ahmed is the fiance of a former client of LSI.

While I'm living in Cairo, Khalda will be my personal tour guide to all the countries tourist spots, as well as a teacher of Arabic, cooking, and culture. Most importantly I hope we can build a beautiful friendship. I hope to return to the United States in November with a better understanding of life as a displaced refugee, African/Middle Eastern culture, and more travel/language/teaching experience. (Then yes, it will finally be time to put that degree to use with some kind of job and/or grad school :)).

I have re-issued my Rwanda blog -- http://jeanna12.blogspot.com/ and I'll do my best to keep it updated. I encourage you all to follow my journey- in fact, I'd love it!!

I also welcome e-mails and cards!! You can e-mail me for my address and skype.

Thanks for all your support, and I hope we can keep in touch while I'm away - or when I get back!!

All the Love,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We send you the very best wishes for a wonderful trip. Be careful, stay safe and enjoy the experience! Keep us posted so we can see what you are doing. Love from all of us.
Linda, Dave & Ashley

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip Jeanna! It's always great to take in another culture.
P.S. thanks for the post card to me and my new little family in WA. If you're ever in the area, you've got somewhere to stay!

Cousin Rob