Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Murabeho

I'm beeeehind on my blogging.

Last week we had a good fix to our homesickness. We met Jodie and her son in the airport. She lives in Texas and tries to come and visit her family at least once a year. So we were kindly welcomed into the home of her sister, for a BBQ Rwanda style. It was such a nice night, and extremely relaxing. There was a lot of food and even more dancing.

This past weekend we traveled to Butare, smaller city in the southern part of the country. We were able to visit the National Museum of Rwanda, the National University of Rwanda, the biggest Catholic Cathedral, and the Murambi Genocide Memorial.

The National Museum of Rwanda was interesting and I was able to learn a lot about the history of Rwanda. There were tons of artifacts there, and they were all gorgeous.
The National University was fun to drive through as well. Before leaving I read the book “Left to Tell” which was the story of a genocide survivor, and she attended this university. During the genocide the National University was attacked and many students were killed.
We went to mass on Sunday at the Catholic Cathedral. It was interesting going to a service in all Kinyarwanda.
The Murambi Genocide Memorial... I do not think I can possibly explain the things I saw there in a blog. I still have not even been able to write about it in my journal.

This week... after being the truck for so long during the weekend all of us girls felt like dancing. So Aloys told us to check out the Kigali Business Center's nightclub. We went there on Sunday night and danced the night away. It was so fun, and I think we all needed to move around.
We've been trying to spend as much time as possible at the Orphanage. We've had a day of frisbees, another of fake tattoos, and yesterday- we got to see some amazing football skills. Turns out the kids are even better when they are playing with real balls- and not plastic bags tied together.

This might be my last blog for a while, or until I get home. I'm sorry they have been so vague lately we've had jam packed days and limited Internet access. The time here has been going so quickly, and I am both excited and devastated about arriving back in the US on Sunday.
Its going to break my heart when we have to say goodbye to the children today. Not only the children but all the people we've meet since coming here. The first day we got here, many people told us “You will never actually leave Rwanda” ... knowing that my flight to Tanzania is looming tomorrow- I'm starting to feel the reality of their words.

Throughout this trip I have seen some of the most beautiful and the most heart wrenching things of my life. The pain and suffering the people of Rwanda have gone through is impossible for me to imagine- and their strength and forgiveness amazes me every single day. I hope that I can learn from the people of Rwanda and take their strength, motivation, optimism, and willingness to work towards change into my own life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanna,
Hope you are enjoying your last days in Africa! I have been printing your blog messages and taking them over for Grandpa & Grandma. They really like reading what you have been doing. They also say Hi and send a hug to you. Have fun and have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.