Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Last Week

I promised a gushing about Gisimba ... here goes (with a “little” extra)

There are three main components of our Service-Learning Trip in Rwanda. 1. Is to experience/immerse ourselves in the culture of Rwanda. 2. Is to observe the education system in post-genocide Rwanda. 3. To start up a community service project with a Rwandan organization that can be continued throughout years to come.

I think I've made my immersion into Rwandan culture very clear. As I am unable to go one day without proclaiming my love for this tiny country at least 15 times. My latest adventure was the Man U/Cheslea football game. OHHH, do these Rwandans love their football...soccer. It was seriously all anyone would talk to us about all day Wednesday. By noon everyone in our group decided we'd cheer for Man U... mostly because we wanted to get KIE Professor John (an avid Cheslea fan) flustered. :) The game was so much fun. We watched it in the outdoor cafe/bar area of our hotel, Chez Lando. I've never seen it so packed. The evening was hours and hours of football, yelling (in Kinyarwanda and French), beer, and cramped necks. Even though towards the end of the game, Dominick was trying to get Jess and I to stop nodding off and just go to bed... I'm VERY happy I was able to hold out- and stay up for the very end (after two 15 minute overtimes and a kick off thingy – please do not judge my lack of soccer knowledge, even half way around the world I still know nothing about athletics) The end brought: crying & screaming men (both happy and sad), the removal of shirts, broken glass, jumping, dancing, singing, and forced removal of some individuals from the bar. Being a halfway-ish point in the trip- the excitement was very uplifting and very needed.

As for schools... this week we were able to visit a few more schools, but the one most dear to my heart was Fawe Girls School. They were lovely girls and soooo excited to see a group of women from the States. They believed (wrongly) that we knew all the answers to all their questions: about University, boys, and life in general. We did our best to answer all the questions – hopefully no young minds were ruined by our ways. We were welcomed with open arms into their school, and everyone was so kind. The school specializes in mathematics and science, but I was able to sit in on both a French and Kinyarwanda class.

We were also able to have a brief meeting with the Minister of Education. She too was a very nice woman. We were so grateful that she was able to talk to us between meetings. She really does have a strong vision, and an even larger sense of hope for the future of education in Rwanda. Currently the main issues that need to be tackled are those of equal education, increased enrollment in secondary schools, anglophone/francophone issues, etc. Oh, and she told me I should skip out on the Peace Corps and she'd get me a job. Too bad teaching isn't my thing.
Then there is Gisimba. We were hooked up with Gisimba orphanage through Lisa Holmes from Washington State University. She did work at Gisimba along with Dominick a Rwandan student (who has been a great help and friend to our group as well) and recommended we do our service work there.

Gisimba orphanage is family run organization, and was started in the home. There are currently over 180 children ranging in age from about 2-22. Most of these children have lost parents due to the genocide, HIV/AIDS and disease, poverty, or abandonment. Ildefonse (so fun to say) is the current patron, and lives at the orphanage with the children. He is a superbly wonderful man, and Papa to more children than I think any of us could handle. There are also 'Mothers' who work with and care for the children, a social worker, and cooks.

This orphanage also has quite the past- Damas Gisimba, the current Legal Representative (owner) hid over 400 people in one building of his orphanage during the 1994 genocide. In years after the genocide he was named One of the Seven Heros of the Rwandan Genocide. He is a very quiet, caring man and I am truly honored to have met him. I cannot even imagine the things he did, and I am excited to share his story.

Even though our group tried to do research on the orphanage before arriving in Kigali, we were unable to find any information on this fascinating place. We had no idea the resources that were lacking or available. So, when we were trying to come up with some sort of community service project with the orphanage that could be both beneficial to them, as well as on-going... we decided that we would create a website for them. Both the Patron and Legal Representative were very excited about the idea, so we've all been busy interviewing, touring, and taking pictures around the orphanage. It is our hope that the website can be the first step in building a long lasting relationship with Gisimba. As well as being beneficial to both parties, and outside individuals, companies, donors, etc.

Its hard to put in words the heartbreaking/heartwarming feelings of Gisimba. The BEAUTIFUL children, the dedicated staff, dirty little Mosquito Stadium, and ol' Simba the dog.
Do not be surprised if I get off the airplane in Minneapolis with a child in my arms. I want to take them all home with me.

I am not doing ANYTHING justice in this blog, but I'm trying my best. My mind is just always all over the place processing, seeing, sensing to relay anything back to you.

[Abrupt End.]
I Miss.
Lots of Love.
PS: Has anyone found me a job in Ames for when I return? :)

No comments: