Monday, May 19, 2008

Muzungu's In the Mist

On average it takes us about an hour and a half to get any food around here, and just as I was warned the Internet really doesn't always work, but "Hakuna Matata" (it REALLY DOES mean "No Worries"). I hope you haven't all missed me too much during this week of limited communication. :)

Since last Tuesday we have visited:

The Gisimba Orphanage:

I saved this section for last, as my heart is filled with love for Gisimba. But now it is time for dinner. So I will have to write later about this wonderful place.

The Gisimba Nursery School:

Unlike in the States, there is very little daycare in Rwanda. So many times, when families can afford it, they send their children to nursery school. The kids are typically 3-6 years old. We were able to visit the nursery school located at Gisimba Orphanage. The school is for both orphans and children in the community.
Jess and I were put in charge of a classroom for two min. by the time the teacher was present again- we had: a handful of children running outside, two children writing on the chalkboard, no one sitting, nearly all the kids sitting on top of their desks, every child screaming... all but one, the one who was crying in the corner. The teacher just laughed.
We all were more successful at recess, when all of us had a wonderful time playing with the kids.

The Kigali Institute of Education (KIE):

This is one of the biggest Universities in Rwanda, we didn't get to have much interaction with the students because they were taking exams. But it was a beautiful campus. We are going there a few more times in the next few weeks.

Green Hills Academy:

Is a nursery- secondary school run by a Canadian woman and her husband. It is in the top three schools in Rwanda. Its very prestigious and a lot is expected of the students. Our group was split and given tours by Mimi and Tony, the Head Girl and Boy. They were both great guides and knowledge gained was great on both ends. (The food there was good too). For about two hours in the afternoon, we were all put into different classrooms. I was with 3 year olds. There was a lot of snot, crying, confusion, and "Teacher Jeanna! Teacher Jeanna!" ... but they were cute. And I do still think so even though I think after my time with them, is the most tired I've been this whole trip.

Dominick's Secondary School (I cannot remember the name):

It was really interesting going to this school because there were so many similarities between high schools in the US and their secondary school. The only difference was that our schools have more "stuff". Jess and I went in front of the class, it was mostly students who have 1-2 years left until University or graduation. They had a lot of great questions about universities in the US and our experienecs at ISU and in high school. Oh, and they really wanted to know who I was going to vote for.
If I ever want to find a Rwandan hubbie- this is where I need to go back to. As I seemed to have picked up an admirerer somehow. He begged that I never forget him, and called Dominick soon after we left to tell him, "Wish her a safe trip, and ask her never to forget me" ... I do not remember his name. The story is pretty funny/cute, remind me to relay when I return.

Kinigi:

This city is about two hours of Kigali, its much colder when you're closer to the moon ;) . The view just outside of our hotel room were green hills and huge volcanoes.
Kinigi is home also to the Rain forest where the gorillas live. With D as our guide, Peter as our porter, and two mysterious guys with guns as our guards... After a three hour trek, uphill, in the rain forest (I'll admit, I fell once- in the mud. AND I had a few lovely minutes of ants - biting ones- in my pants) I was able to see one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen- Gorillas. So, the animal itself maybe not the best looking, but the way they live is extremely interesting to watch.
They way that they play, and use their hands and feet. The way they communicate... it is shockingly human like. We got to watch them for about an hour. During that time the Hirwa group was snacking and getting ready for 'nap time'. We were lucky enough to see the group that has five babies! Ohmygoodnesscute.
Thankfully, some unknown but wonderful people cleaned my shoes for 500 Francs or 1 US dollar- they are cleaner then they were when I packed them. My white backpack maybe permanently brown and I may never get over my new fear of ants- but I can now say I am one of the few people who has seen (up close and personal) 12 of the 300-400 gorillas left in the world.

Gisenyi/Lake Kivu:

Paradise is only two hours and one loooong bumpy, pot hole filled road away from the Gorillas. Aloys* so kindly took us to the town of Gisenyi after we "wet ones" ourselves apres les gorillas. Gisenyi is home to the Primus beer plant, Lake Kivu, and the Congo boarder in the distance. We were spoiled and were able to relax all of Sunday. I successfully got sun burnt through two applications of sunscreen. (SPF 30 m'dears). But I'll take the newly appearing freckles and red nose with a smile as they remind me of my day on the beach and two nights of falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing into the shore.
OH! and after a nice dinner Aloys drove us to the nearby 'airport' and we were able to see a 'glowing' volcano. Its actually located in the Congo, it hasn't errupted since 2005, but you can see the red in the sky.

A rural primary school:

Rwanda claims that their education is equal throughout the country. It has not taken long to see that is not true. One our way back to Kigali this morning we stopped by a rural primary school. By the way, when I say "stopped by" I mean, we drove up the steepest, most narrow road I've ever encountered with cliffs of green and lakes on both sides. (The Plum City snowmobile path doesn't even compare to this mess).
The kids were beautiful. Although there is always the barrier of trying to communicate with mixes of messy French, Kinyarwanda, and English- a smile means the same in each language. Like in the other schools we were able to pair up and sit in on different classrooms. The P3 (about the same as 3-4 grade) students were learning "In Front of", "Behind of", "In", "In Between", etc.
After we presented the school with some gifts of books, pens, pencils, etc, the kids danced for us. Oh, they danced and they danced. ( I cannot wait to come home and show you the videos).

We've also been fortunate enough to have meals with people such as:
Robin, a women from the US who is opening a secondary school in Rwanda.
Craig, my new BFF who works for Joint Aid Management helping bring awareness of AIDS, nutrition, orphans, and women's rights in African countries.

... Only my memories and my journal can remember all the other little ways in which my five senses have experienced Rwanda. I am in love with a country. Its been hard to process everything, because are on constatnly on the go... but in the last week, everyday has brought so many wonderful experiences, I fear that soon my heart, my brain, and my body are going to fill up with too much... too much, I don't know, happiness, kindness, love, growth, knowledge ...
I hope all is well in the States. Remember to keep appreciating the litle things.
Love Love Love.

* In addition to Aloys' previous duties, he is also: our money exchanger, our phone card buyer, our alarm clock, the pot hole/speed bump avoider, reservation maker, our French/Kinyarwanda teacher, our personal "hurry up with the food" man, body guard, and according to Leah our "Faithful Friend" (I feel as if this list needs to be a reappearing segment in my blog as every day this man finds more and more ways to save us)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Jeanna,
Sounds as if you are having a great time. Each day is a gift from God, reaching out and helping others is a way of saying 'Thanks". Enjoy-Enjoy