Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January 25th

I feel like I should be speaking out about Egypt. 

I've been getting calls and notes from friends & family telling me they're happy I'm not in Cairo right now (& I can't help but agree, but then again - I am missing out on some serious history). I'm getting a lot of ... "I hear something is going on?", "That sounds awful.", "So, what do you think?" and "How is Khalda? Her baby?". 

& the answer is yes something is going on. This didn't come out of thin air. I don't know what I think - and no, I haven't heard from Khalda.

The media has been extensive (I recommend here, here, & here). It's hard to know where to start. 

I can confidently say I agree with the mission behind the protests and the the need for change... I'm struggling to find a strong political stance (or write up a rant-y blog post) while I find myself concerned daily for my brother's and sister's basic well being. I can't seem to stop thinking about food shortages, road blocks, looting and crime in familiar streets/neighborhoods.

I'm proud of those protesting peacefully in the streets, but concerned for those in their homes. Especially groups of people such as the Sudanese who have never been welcome in Egypt. My one clear thought is that I'll have more to say when I know that Khalda, baby Ahmed and friends are okay. Don't get me wrong - this is an exciting time for Egyptians. January 25th 2011 - will be remembered, and most people are not gathering with the intent of violence or harm. But with the unrest of 19 million +, life can be made difficult for many. My dear friends could (& I imagine some are) dancin' in the streets with everyone else. But until then, I just keep reading & wondering...

& believe it or not - missing the hell out of that beautiful country. 

(oooooh, let's see what Mubarak has to say RIGHT NOW, this should be interesting).

No comments: