Tuesday, April 6, 2010

EducationalEntertainment

Since I've returned from Cairo, I've been attending monthly Refugee Health Task Force meetings put on by the MN Department of Health (I am so grateful that they let a young, un-affiliated kid like me join). I've learned a lot about immigrant/refugee issues in the Metro and made some excellent contacts. Today's meeting was extra special -- when I walked into the room and it smelt like Leah Keino's kitchen I knew it was going to be good -- The Annual Task Force Film Festival / Ethnic Pot Luck Party!

So now, with a strong urge to buy plane tickets to Africa and a lentil/rice filled belly... I'll share with you the titles of documentaries/films that we either watched clips from or simply discussed briefly. Each title is linked so you can easily find more information: 

Middle East/Asia

Blindsight: The story of six Tibetan teens who climb a mountain near Everest, a feat in itself, these teens are blind.  
Born into Brothels: Follows a few children living in brothels within the red light district of Calcutta, India. Each is given a camera and lessons on photography, a powerful film about how children see the world. (Probably my favorite documentary from today - the children are beautiful and talented - it's a heart-wrenching story. I'm anxious to see the whole film). 
To See If I'm Smiling: The story of young girls drafted into the Israeli military. 
I Know I'm Not Alone: Musician Michael Franti travels to Palestine, Israel, and Iraq to look at the human cost of war.
Found: "An impressionistic journey told through old photos, text, animation and home movies, begings with Toronto poet Souvankham Thammavongsa discovers her father's discarded scrapbook that documents the family's escape from Laos in the 1970s"
The Story of the Weeping Camel: Part documentary part film, it's the story of a family of herders in Mongolia and the troubles they face when a camel mother rejects her newborn calf.
Tuya's Wedding: A story about a Mongolian woman shepherd.
The Betrayal: Oscar nominated and a 23 year project, it's the story of one family's forced move from Laos to New York city after the secret US air-war with Vietnam brought violence and chaos to the area. 

Africa

Black Gold: A Film About Coffee & Trade, the film follows impoverished Ethiopian coffee growers and their fight for a fair price. 
Munyurangabo: A Rwandan genocide orphan travels the country to avenge his father's death.
Sisters in Law: Two sisters in the Cameroon use law and justice to help the abused women of the village. 
What are we doing here?: Three brothers and a cousin travel from Cairo to Cape Town to see where the billions of dollars in world aid is really going. (Extremely powerful, educational, emotional, and shocking. I'm hunting this one down for sure - 30 minutes wasn't enough). 
I'm Not Black, I'm Coloured: An educational and historical look at race in Cape Town, South Africa.
Rough Aunties: Follows a group of women who protect and care for abused, neglected, and forgotten children in Durban, South Africa.
Pray the Devil Back to Hell: The Story of Liberian women who worked and prayed to bring peace to their country by protesting a civil war tearing apart the country.

Worldwide

Half the Sky: A movement to empower the world's women, and to end human trafficking, forced prostitution, and gender-based violence. (The Half the Sky movement is more well-known for it's novel form, written by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn).
Sacred HeartThe Rice, and The Chosen Child were three other films that were mentioned today, but I couldn't find information on them.

You probably won't find these titles in your nearest Redbox, but try your local library! It's raining outside, the perfect time to cuddle up and learn. Happy viewing! 

1 comment:

Kimmy P said...

THANK YOU --- I love great movies like these. Born into Brothels IS great. I want to watch all of the African films - I have Pray the Devil Back to Hell at home (netflix, i love thee). Half the Sky in theaters was so-so, but the book is fantabulous. My favorite by far.