Monday, April 26, 2010

popcorn

Do you ever have those moments when memories rush in and consume your thoughts? In my experience these moments are typically onset by a song, photo, or place. But, last night, I closed my eyes to sleep and I felt like I was back in Roxy-Cairo. I wasn't dreaming and I obviously wasn't actually there, but I had the most realistic and slightly overwhelming memory:

I was sitting on Khalda's couch. I could hear her clanking in the kitchen and the normal chaos of Cairo streets (our porch doors were always open). Some 90s American movie was playing on the TV and I was talking to my mom on the computer. I smelt oil. & then Khalda yelled out from the kitchen, very excitedly, "Jeanna! I have surprise for you" & came into the living room carrying a heaping bowl of home-popped popcorn. I said rushed goodbyes and I love yous to my mom, thanked Khalda over and over - and together we sat happily eating our popcorn, watching some stupid movie. 

It may seem like a small moment. & I guess it was. But you see, a few days earlier Khalda and I discovered a new popcorn stand outside our metro stop. We instantly became frequent customers. I told her it reminded me of home. She felt the same way. & then, she surprised me with popcorn on some boring afternoon. Isn't that sweet? I miss her. 

No comments: