Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fighting Winter

In a journal entry from January 2006 I wrote, "a happy thought a day keeps the doctor away".

I then proceeded for the next few months to write down a daily happy thought. Sometimes it was a list of happy things; other days it was quotes from friends or favorite song lyrics. On a few occasions it was simply a word. I remember doing this because winter had gotten me down.

The next few years I relied on 'happy lists' to aid in the fight against winter blues. In fact, in 2007 on this very day February 18th, I loved: the library, warm winter days, soup, Blast From the Past, little reminders, highlighters, Burt's Bees, the Gap, masks, fountains, decorating, weird dreams, and late night showers.

For the last few years though, I haven't taken the time to reflect on the good things. In fact, it wasn't until Ms. Sarah suggested the idea of a 'happy list' I even remembered my many notebooks full of them. I'll give you two guesses as to what I've restarted ...

Yes, I'm reinstating the daily happy thought journal. Lately, I've been getting so wrapped up in the negative, I've left no space for anything positive. No more. No more. With just a few minutes of daily reflection - I am officially re-welcoming happy into my life. I hope you join me.

At first it may be forced, (gah, okay. I ate chocolate today - that was okayyy), but before you know it your lists will grow (8 hours of sleep, a smiling stranger, old songs on the radio, rain boots, the smell of vanilla, sighting of green leaves, etc). The goodness of life will become more evident. Then - one day - you won't need a list at all... you'll find that happiness is all around.

Something to do today: reflect on the good of your day.

No comments: