Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mr/Ms/Mrs Representative

I'm a fan of writing letters, even one's that aren't to loved ones and friends. As an assignment in fifth grade, we were all asked to write a letter to our State Representative, & I haven't stopped doing so. 

I realize for many the word 'government' automatically tenses muscles,  frowns faces & turns people off/against, but now more than ever, we all must be aware of what is going on. Right now our State Representatives are gathering in DC to work on the Federal Budget, & in efforts to eliminate the Federal deficit - are making some HUGE cuts. Many to social services.

I've been busy writing letters to 'save' family planning assistance programs, funding for refugee assistance, AmeriCorps (& other national service projects) & our beloved NPR/PBS -- because I believe in these causes.

The writin' comes easy when fueled by belief and I encourage all of you visit Congress.org to educate yourself on what is happening within our Congress. I'm confident you'll find something you believe in and I urge you to go one step further - write your representative. Tell them how you feel, even if it's more of a "Thank You" than "HOW DARE YOU".  We vote our representatives in to speak for us - listening to your concerns, congrats and interests is. their. job.

Alone we are one person, but if we all do our share - we can make a change (or keep good things going). Your voice matters.

---

Dear Representative -----, 

During these times of evaluation and tough decision making in efforts to reduce the Federal deficit, I hope you consider voting against the elimination of national service programs such as AmeriCorps. 

This year, I am serving as an Americorps Volunteer at a local refugee resettlement agency. Although my official title is Volunteer, daily I serve as an Employment Counselor. My AmeriCorps organization has 30 AmeriCorps members serving in approximately 20 sites. Each of us provide employment services, job/work readiness training and college preparation services for low income refugees, immigrants, and/or ex-offenders. If Congress eliminates AmeriCorps, large numbers of at-risk members of the Minnesota community will lose services they need to be successful, incoming earning, contributing members of society. The Continuing Resolution will only push unemployment rates up. Unemployment numbers -- particularly for young people, veterans and military spouses, older Americans and people of color-remain alarmingly high. 

Beyond the at-risk groups we serve, people like my fellow volunteers (including but not limited to: retirees, recent college graduates, graduate students, mothers, fathers, etc.) national service programs have offered us the opportunity to earn a subsistence-level stipend, develop skills, and create pathways to future employment. Eliminating programs like AmeriCorps will result in jobs lost for the corps members and the staff who supervise them. 

I personally joined AmeriCorps when after graduating from a State University was unable to find steady employment. Through AmeriCorps I've been able to gain skills in the career area of my choice, become a young professional, gain new skills, move forward in becoming financially independent and most importantly - serve my community.  

I have been able to help at risk population of new Americans, refugees. Most refugee individuals have lived a life of discrimination and war - they have survived unbelievable feats and have made the plunge to accept their invitation to start a new life in the United States, specifically in Minnesota. This transition is not an easy one, but during my service thus far I've been able to help my new neighbors find steady and gainful employment through assisting in skill development, job/work readiness training, managing job search and placement assistance. I've been able to build relationships with small and large business owners, so they too may benefit from the hard work and determination of refugee workers (all of whom are legally granted the right to work in the United States). Through my service, I've been able to help individuals once dependent on State and Federal assistance become self sustaining, contributing members of their State and community. 

While the immediate benefits of cutting programs such as AmeriCorps may be high - the future implications are not. Our goals for aiding Americans and Minnesotans to become self sustaining, contributing members of society are like minded, I hope we can work together so that national service programs such as AmeriCorps can continue to make those goals a reality. AmeriCorps has had a deep impact on my life, and beyond one year of service will continue to shape the way in which I work towards bettering our local communities. Please save AmeriCorps.

Thank you for your time.

No comments: