Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Arab World Test


In our country - the Middle East/North Africa/Arab World floods our nightly news: Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Sudan, Afghanistan etc.

We've heard of the countries, we know the racist jokes, we are familiar with the stereotypes (don't lie- I say desert you think Aladdin, camels & terrorists). Many around us unfairly fear the Arabic language, tanned skin & dark hair/eyes, dare I say Muslims?! But tell me, do you even know where these countries are?

Can you recognize that more than terrorism and riots - this part of the world is unique, beautiful, full of culture, passion, history and human beings much like yourself?

I challenge you all to take this 'rethinking schools' Middle East Map Quiz & test your knowledge on the geographic of an area we feel so comfortable slamming. If you don't make more than 5 mistakes, I'll send candy. & while you're at it - do a little research on a country or two, you'll be awed.

PS: This is dedicated to Dr. Hsain Ilahiane, my professor of Contemporary Muslim Societies - who made us take a killer quiz like this: all. those. 'stans'.

Photos & Idea via:  Invisible Children and Wikipedia Arab World

No comments: