Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dang Mosquito

My legs are covered in mosquito bites and I'm pissed off about it! I want to go on a rant about red itchy splotchy legs and chemical filled repellents, but I can't. Because after every complaint a little voice in my head says, "Jeanna - at least Malaria isn't a worry." & the little voice is right, I'm lucky. 
Kinigi, Rwanda 

According to the World Health Organization (WHO):

Over half the world's population is at risk for Malaria.
There are over 250 million cases per year, 1 million resulting in death.
Every 45 seconds a child dies of Malaria.
Symptoms of Malaria include (are not limited to) fever, shaking, respiratory distress, and vomiting.
Malaria is both treatable and preventable.

For more information on transmission, symptoms, risks, treatment, elimination, prevention and more I suggest reading the WHO Malaria Fact Sheet.

OR better yet if you want to do something about Malaria prevention (& ultimate elimination) go to http://www.nothingbutnets.net/ & consider donating a 10 dollar mosquito net or organizing a fundraising team!

No comments: