Monday, October 5, 2009

MISR! Mountian! Mummies!


Okay, well.... I've been up a mountain and back.

This weekend (the weekend here is Friday/Saturday) Khalda and Anwar treated me a nice vacation on the Sinai Coast. I went with a tour bus of about 20 people - a wonderful mix of Americans, Europeans, and Egyptians, etc. Mostly comprising of students, interns, journalists, volunteers, human rights activists - ma people! It was utterly exhausting and relaxing at the same time.

We drove all night to arrive at Mount Sinai around 3AM and started our trek. Thank God I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Otherwise I probably would have never signed up. Little did I know that the "nice hike" mentioned in our trip agenda was actually a hike up the second largest peak in the Middle East. Mount Sinai is the mount in which Moses is said to have spent his 40 days and 40 nights to receive the 10 commandments. It is 7,500 feet high ...

7K and 2.5 hours - of a rocky/sandy, dark, cold, camel filled path & 700 "steps" of small steep steep steep rocks, shaking legs, and a racing heart - later I reached the top with my new insta-friend/motivator/partner in panting/hotelmate Tilde (a sweet, sweet, woman from Denmark who is interning at the embassy). We made it just in time to see the sunrise. Even through it was a hazy sunrise dulled by sand, dust, and my own hunger- it was definitely one of those "life moments".


I felt pretty proud of myself too... until I saw a group of elderly people with canes reach the top- no problemo.

The way down? Well I wasn't thinking about life then...mostly just my demise if I stepped badly on one of the 3,000 "steps" on the "stairs of redemption". At least on the way down there weren't any camels in my face.

We spent the rest of the weekend in Dahab - relaxing by the Red Sea. I've never seen clearer water. It felt SO good. Think - paradise ... with no green. Mountains, sea, and tourists everywhere. I probably should have snorkeled or diving, but I was having too much fun laying without the sound of dogs, people, or car horns.


It was really nice to have some down time and meet some people working in Cairo. Talking to people who could understand me at normal talking speed was indescribably comforting. Being back in the city isn't too bad though. I missed Khalda, the pushing, and adventures of crossing the street.

- I've been spoiled -

Last week Khalda and company brought me to an Egyptian football game. Egypt is hosting the U20 World Cup right now, and it is seriously the only thing people are talking about. So we headed to Cairo Stadium to check out the Egypt (Misr)- Paraguay game. SO. MUCH. FUN. Spirits were so high (until we lost...), everyone had painted faces, a flag and/or drum in hand, lots of chip eating, cheering, and I've never done the wave so many times. In Egypt football is life- and I could feeeeeel it. It was such a fun experience. ... that I think is going to be repeated sometime this week.

I also got to check out the Egyptian Museum. In true Egyptian nature its mostly a chaotic maze of ancient unlabeled artifacts. More like our 6th grade rendition of ancient Egypt rather than a world known museum. No matter, it was somethin'else to be able to wander around such old pieces. Some of my personal highlights were the ancient royal jewelry room, any/everything King Tut, and the mummy rooms. I made fun of Khalda for being too scared to go in the mummy rooms, but I can't lie- they were pretty freaky.

Next week I'm going to start tutoring English at St. Andrew's Refugee Services I'm pretty excited to meet some more refugees, help out, and see how another program works. In just two visits I can the staff is over their head in work, but I hope I can steal them away for a bit to get some advice and conversation.

More later, Khalda is home from work - Alhamdulillah - (a common Arabic expression that means "Thank God")

All the Love,

Jeannnnnnna

No comments: